Spread the Light. End the Stigma
Whether you suffer from depression or someone you love does I encourage you today to shine light on this illness and move away from the darkness. It is time to remove all stigma from this disease. Share your story and help others who are suffering too.
If you are thinking about suicide please contact call 1-800-273-TALK (8255), the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. It is a 24-hour, toll-free, confidential suicide prevention hotline. - See more at: https://www.nami.org/Find-Support/NAMI-HelpLine#sthash.N8TRxRUG.dpuf.
If you would like to learn more about depression please visit https://www.nami.org/ and seek out your local NAMI chapter to find out how you can shed some light on depression in your own community.
Some staggering statistics
· Depression affects 1 in 10 Americans at some point in their life
· Over 80% of people with symptoms of clinical depression are not receiving any kind of treatment
· An estimated 121 million people around the world currently suffer from some form of depression
· Anxiety disorders cost the U.S. more than $42 billion a year
· Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the U.S.
· In 2010 someone in the U.S. committed suicide every 13.7 minutes
If you would like me to share my story about depression at your next event please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.